Whether you’re saving for a deposit or trying to pay off your mortgage faster, entertaining on a budget can be a challenge.
Balancing the desire to create a fantastic evening for your guests and the need to not blow the budget can be complicated, but not impossible. Follow these simple tips to create the perfect budget dinner party for your guests.
- Start planning before you head to the grocery shop! Think of what produce is in season at the moment, how many people will be attending, if you know their food preferences, and if the meal will be indoors or outside – will you need some citronella candles to keep the mosquitos at bay? Planning will give you the opportunity to prepare a seasonal menu and make practical purchases to avoid over spending at the checkouts with impulse purchases.
- Dishes like spaghetti bolognese, chilli con carne, or lasagne are cheap and cheerful crowd pleasers that can be jazzed up with simple sides like guacamole, an exciting salad or steamed veggies with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- When you invite your guests, most people ask what they can bring to contribute to the evening. Don’t be afraid to take them up on their offer. From a pre-dinner cheese plate to sides, dessert or drinks, your guests’ dishes can be a welcome contribution to the evening.
- Making the most of your favourite playlists is a great way to set the tone for the evening, and it’s free! For a quiet dinner put on your favourite background music, and for later in the night when people are feeling a bit more spontaneous try Spotify’s ‘Throwback Party’ playlist.
- For a little after dinner fun you can’t go past a couple of board games. Grab some old classics that we all have in the cupboard – a set of playing cards, Monopoly and even Twister can provide hours of entertainment without breaking the bank.
The opinions expressed in this article are the opinions of the author(s) and not necessarily those of RESIMAC Direct.
See if you qualify. To get a more accurate idea of how much you can borrow with RESIMAC Direct, click here